Sheer Khurma is a traditional sweet dish prepared by Muslims during Eid. I used to think Sheer Khurma and Vermicelli payasam is the same. But it is not.
Deep within Indian history, the Mughals brought art and culture to the Indian subcontinent. This period produced the blending of different traditions which also led to new cooking styles.
Sheer could be Ksheer which in Sanskrit means “Milk”
I got to have this for the first time for an Eid. I was invited by my neighbor and she served me a bowl of this dessert. It was so delicious. And she keeps giving me this sweet for every Eid. And I just love having it.
Let me share my version of the recipe.
- Dried dates – 10 number
- Warm water 1/2 liter
- Very thin vermicelli – 100 grams (It will be available in Indian Grocery stores)
- Low fat milk – 2 liters (You can replace this with Full fat for more richness. But don’t use skimmed)
- Sweetened Condensed milk – 1 tin (200 grams)
- Butter – 2 tablespoon
- Sugar – 1/4 cup
- pistachios for garnishing
- Wash the dates
- Add it to a sauce pan and boil along with 1/2 liter of milk for 10-15 minutes
- Remove the dates and soak it in a warm water in a different bowl. (This process can be done overnight, if you are making your khurma early morning)
- Keep the milk chilled.
- Next day you can discard water and seed the dates. Now thinly slice it.
- Take the chilled milk which we used to boil the dates and the rest of the 1.5 liter of milk and boil.
- Add in the sliced dates mix well and remove from flame
- Heat a pan, add butter.
- Once melted, add vermicelli fry for 2-3 minutes. The vermicelli is already roasted. SO we just need to heat well
- Add the milk with sliced dates.
- Now keep the heat at medium and let the milk boil for 15 to 20 minutes
- Reduce the flame to medium to low and add the condensed milk and sugar
- Boil for another 4-5 minutes
- Remove from flame. Allow to cool.
- Transfer this in small serving bowls.
- Garnish with slivered pistachios
- Serve chilled. This should serve 15-20 bowls.
* If you are using the soft dates. You can skip the soaking process. Add the thinly sliced and chopped dates while adding milk
* you can add in a teaspoon of rose water, when you are adding the condensed milk and sugar
* you could also add a crushed cardamom when you are heating the vermicelli
* You can add almonds and raisins as well. I prefer to use only pistachios
Update :2nd June 2015