This is a North Indian recipe. A famous chutney from Rajasthan. It is a sweet and sour preserve of raw mangoes tempered with mild Indian spices. A sweet and sour Mango chutney. You can call it Instant pickle as well. So easy to prepare.
- Raw Mangoes, big/medium – 3 nos
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Whole dry red chilies – 5
- Cumin Seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Carom Seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Asafoetida/Hing – 1 pinch
- Turmeric Powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Sugar – 3 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Water – 1/4 cup
You have to,
- Rinse and wash the mangoes and wipe it with a kitchen towel
- Slice and cut the mangoes into chunks. Don’t remove skin.
- Heat oil in a pan in a medium flame
- Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, carom seeds, asafoetida
- Once the mustard pops up, add the red chilies followed by turmeric.
- Add the Mango piece. Stir fry for 10 seconds
- Add sugar, salt and water
- Reduce the flame and simmer the mango pieces gravy for 10-15 minutes or till the gravy thickens.(Check the taste of the gravy and you could add less or more sugar and salt )
- The mango pieces will become soft and the gravy thickens.
- Remove from flame and allow to cool down.
- Bottle and refrigerate
- You can serve this with Theplas.
It is just yummy…Try to use within a week.