I tried to make the simple Gujarati Kadhi. And this is inspired by Tarla Dalal’s Recipe.
- Besan (Bengal gram flour) – 2 tbsp
- Curd – 2 cups whisked well
- Green chilli – 1 small finely chopped
- Ginger paste – 1 tsp
- Water – 2 cups
- Curry leaves of 2 springs
- Salt to taste
For tempering or tadka
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida – a tiny pinch
- Dry Red chili – 1 or 2
- Refined oil – 2 teaspoon
- Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp chopped finely
You have to
- Whisk the besan and curd till smooth without any lumps
- In a sauce pan add the besan curd mixture, green chili, ginger, curry leaves, salt and water.
- Mix well and heat this sauce pan
- Once the mixture boils, lower the flame to simmer. Stir continuously.
- In another pan prepare the tadka
- Heat oil, add the cumin seeds and mustard seeds.
- Once the mustard pops up add asafoetida and red chili.
- Add this over the simmering Kadhi
- Boil for another couple of minutes.
- Remove from flame and garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- It goes very well with white rice or jeera rice
The Original recipe says to add sugar. I dint add. You could add 2 tsp sugar while adding the salt