I could remember the exact date when I had this the very first time. It was on 24th Dec 1999. I had been to Mumbai to be part of my cousin’s marriage. And when we came back home one of my cousin sister prepared this for us.
Pressed Rice or Poha or Aval – 1.5 cups
Boiled Potato – 1 medium peeled and cubed (at least 1/2 to 3/4 cup)
Onion – 1 medium sized chopped finely
Cashew nuts/Peanuts – 2 tbsp (optional)
Green Chili – 1 chopped finely
Salt – to taste
Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
Curry leaves – a small spring (optional)
Lemon juice – 1 tsp
Sugar – 1 tsp
Coriander leaves – 2 tbsp
Hing/Asafoetida – a pinch
You have to,
1. Before you start, place poha in a colander and wash well. Leave it aside to drain
(By the time we will be using it will be moistened well.)
2. Now heat oil in a pan/wok in medium heat
3. Add nuts and saute on medium heat till lightly brown.Drain and keep aside.
4. Add mustard seeds to the same oil along with asafoetida
5. Once the mustard seeds pop up add the curry leaves and onions and saute till translucent.
6. Add potato, turmeric powder and green chilies and stir for 15-20 seconds
7. Add poha, salt and sugar and mix well.
8. Add lemon juice and mix.
9. Add peanuts and garnish with coriander leaves.
10 Serve hot