Made this few days back. After i prepared the fish biriyani, I started liking to grounded coconut paste to biriyani. It gives a nice flavor to it.
- Kabuli Channa (which chickpeas) – 1/2 cup
- Turmeric – a tiny pinch
- hing – a tiny pinch
- Ginger & Garlic chopped – 1 tsp each
- Fresh scrapped coconut – 1/2 cup
- Dry red chili – 1
- Mint leaves – 5 nos
- Green chili – 2 (Depending upon the chili spice you can add or reduce 1)
For masala and rice
- Refined oil – 2 tbsp
- ghee – 1 tbsp
- cloves – 2
- green cardamom pods – 1
- cinnamon stick – 1 small
- black pepper – 5
- bay leaf – 1
- mace – 1 small piece
- onion – 1 sliced
- tomato – 1 sliced
- coriander powder – 1 tsp
- turmeric – 1/4 tsp
- mint leaves – 10 leaves finely chopped
- coriander leaves – 1/2 cup finely chopped
- basmati rice – 1 cup
- lime juice – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Boiled water – 2 cups (It should be hot while adding to rice)
- Wash and soak kabuli channa in 4 cups of water for at least 8-10 hours. (You can do this overnight)
- Drain the kabuli channa. Place in the pressure cooker and add water enough to cover them. Add a pinch each of hing and turmeric. Pressure cook for 4-5 whistles in medium to low flame
- Grind the ingredients(mentioned to grind) to a coarse paste and and keep aside. Don’t add water
- Wash and soak the rice. (at least 10 minutes)
- Heat oil and ghee together in a large bottom thick pan in medium to low flame
- Add the spices (clove, cardamom, cinnamon, pepper, bay leaf, mace) and stir
- Add the onions and saute till they are translucent.
- Add the tomatoes and cook till it turns soft.
- Add the coriander and turmeric powders and saute for few sec 10-15 sec (till the raw smell disappear)
- Now add kabuli channa and the ground paste and saute for a minute. Add salt and mix well.
- Let the channa cook in the masala for few minutes. Stir fry in between.
- Once the gravy dries up, add coriander and mint leaves
- Drain the rice and add in. Fry for few seconds(make sure not to break the rice while saute) and add the boiling water to it
- Stir and check the salt. Add if required. Add the lime juice
- Cover and cook on medium to low heat till the rice is done and water is absorbed.
- Serve hot with raita
Hari Chandana says
very healthy dish.. yummy!!
Looks like a healthy version of everyone's beloved biryani. Thanks for sharing!
thanks indu 🙂