One of favorite breakfast among Keralites is Puttu(steamed rice cake) and Kadala curry. Kadala curry goes well with appam as well.
- Black Chickpeas / Kadala / channa – 1 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida (Hing) – a pinch
- Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
- clove – 1
- cardamom – 1
- cinnamon stick – 1 small piece
- Black whole pepper – 5 tsp
- Star anise – a clove
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Dry red chilies – 2
- Sliced fresh coconut pieces – 1/4 cup chopped
- Green chilies – 3 slit
- Curry leaves of a spring
- Onion – 1 large chopped
- Tomato – 2 medium seeded and chopped
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Thick coconut milk – 1/2 cup
You have to,
Cooking the chickpeas
- Wash and soak the chickpeas in 4 cups of water for at least 5 hours or overnight
- Wash again and transfer this to a pressure cooker pan.
- Add turmeric powder, hing
- Close the pan and cook this in medium flame
- After 5 whistles remove from fire and keep aside. wait till the pressure goes.
- Heat oil in a pan .
- Add clove, cardamom, cinnamon stick, pepper, star anise.
- Saute for a few seconds and add the mustard seeds.
- Allow the mustard seeds to pop up
- Add the sliced coconut pieces and broken red chilies.
- Once the coconut pieces turns lightly brown, add curry leaves, green chilies and onions
- Allow the onions to turn translucent.
- Add red chili powder, coriander powder and saute well till the dry smell disappears
- Add tomatoes and fry for a minute
- Now add the water from cooked kadala in the cooker.
- And salt if required…and boil.
- Once the oils separates add the chickpeas and boil well till reaches the consistency you need (not too dry and not too watery).
- Before removing flame add in the thick coconut milk and stir.
- Serve with puttu or appam
Neela Manogar says
Healthy and tasty recipe.
So tempting…Mouthwatering clicks!!!
adipoli combination..puttum kadalayum:)
Join EP event-Garlic OR Turmeric @ Spice n Flavors
Maha Gadde says
hot and delicious 🙂
How about I come over next time you make puttu and kadala ..? 🙂 Happy New Year Manju!