Though i used to bake cakes and make cutlets when my Mom is around .It was when I was in 6th Standard when I prepared this for the first time independantly. It was a Sunday evening and my Parents went to my Aunt’s place who stays near by. Mom was saying she will prepare potato bhaji after coming back. I thought of preparing it. Mom was surprised, I still remember the smile which she had on her face. And she tasted and told me very good and kissed me on my forehead. It was an amazing feeling. Hard to explain now. I guess I am missing my home so badly. Love you Mom!! You are the best!!
For Potato Bhaji you need,
Potatoes – 2 cups (Peeled, washed cubed)
Onion – 1/2 cup (Quartered and sliced thinly)
Green Chilli – 1 slit
Dry red chilli – 1
Mustard Seeds – 1/4 tsp
Coconut Oil – 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Curry leaves of 2 spring
You have to
1. Heat tawa in medium.
2. Add oil followed by broken red chilli
3. now add mustard seeds. It will popup. Add curry leaves
4. Just after 2-3 sec add sliced onions and green chilli
5. saute till it becomes a bit soft (a stage before it become translucent)
6. Add cubed potatoes and turmeric
7. Saute well
8. Sprinkle 2 tbsp water. Reduce the flame and close with a lid.
9. In 10-15 it will be cooked. Open the lid, add salt and saute well
10. After 2-3 minutes remove from flame.
11. Serve with chapatti or poori
Now see how mom gives it to me. Keep 2 to 3 tbsp of bhaji in the middle of 1 roti or chapatti
Use a fork to mash it slightly
Now roll and serve. If you are planning to take it work, wrap it nicely with a foil. It will be soft and tasty after 4 hours also 🙂