It was from niece I heard about this sandwich. Basically I love vegetable sandwiches so thought trying this.
For the green chutney you need,
- coriander leaves, chopped – 1 cup
- mint leaves – 1/ 4 cup
- ginger – 1/2 inch
- green chili – 1
- salt/black salt
- Grind the ingredients for the green chutney with little water to a smooth paste.
This goes best with samosas, and chicken biriyani (One of my friend M,she used to get biriyani and mint coriander chutney which her mom prepares. It is absolute yum)
For the potato filling:
- Mashed potatoes – 2 cup
- Onion – 1/2 portion of a medium size. chopped finely
- Tomato – 1/2 portion of a medium size.chopped finely
- Green chilly – 1 chopped finely
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Coriander leaves – 1 tbsp chopped
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Asafoetida(hing) a pinch
- Red chili powder – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – 1 teaspoon
To prepare the filling you have to,
- Heat some oil in a pan.
- Add mustard seeds. Let them pop up.
- Add cumin seeds and then add onions, green chilli.
- Fry the onions till translucent.
- Add the tomatoes. Once it turns soft and cooked, add the dry spices(red chili powder, asafoetida and turmeric)
- Saute well to blend the masala and the mashed potatoes well.
- Add salt to taste and mix the stuffing well.
- Add coriander leaves.
- Remove from flame.
- Allow to cool down a bit before using for assembling.
For assembling the sandwiches you need
- Sandwich Bread(brown or white) or burger bun – 8 slices or 4 bun
- Onions, tomatoes, capsicum thin slices (optional)
- Chaat Masala
- Green chutney (prepared above)
- Potato Filling (prepared above)
You have to
- Apply butter evenly on the bread/bun ( 1 slice a very thin layer and keep it as it is. It will melt while grilling )
- Now apply the green chutney on the bread.
- Take the potato mixture and apply it on this bread.
- Keep onion, tomato and capsicum rings on top.
- Sprinkle chat masala
- Now cover this with another slice of bread
- Toast or grill the sandwich till browned from both sides.
- Now this is just optional. For those who are not diet conscious apply some butter on top of the hot sandwich.
- Serve with tomato sauce or as it is.
Chat masala and black salt gives the typical flavor of chats
Below are few old pics 🙂