For the spong cake
Eggs – 6 large seperated
White sugar – 1 cup
vanilla – 1 tsp
water – 1 tbsp
Lemon zest of 1 lemon
sifted cake flour – 1 cup
cream of tartar – 3/4 tsp
You have to,
1. Preheat the oven to 170 Deg Celcius. Separate the egg whites and yolks and keep aside in 2 seperate bowls
2. Whisk cake flour and 1/4 cup of sugar.
3. Measure next 1/4 cup of granulated white sugar and set aside for beating with the egg whites.
4. Place the 1/2 cup of sugar in a deep bowl
5. Add the egg yolks and beat on high speed for about five minutes, or until they are thick, fluffy and light colored
6. Add in the vanilla extract, water, and lemon zest.
7. In a clean bowl whisk the egg whites until foamy.
8. Add the cream of tartar and continue beating until soft peaks form.
9. Add the 1/4 cup of granulated white sugar and continue beating until the egg whites are shiny and stiff peaks form.
10. Add flour/sugar mixture over the egg batter
11. Gently fold the whites into the batter little by little.
12. fold in just until it is incorporated.
13. Pour the batter into a spring form tin or a cake tin, evenly spreading the cake batter with your spatula.
14. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 – 35 minutes or until lightly browned and a toothpick
inserted in the middle comes out clean.
15. Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes.
16. Place a wire rack on top of the cake pan and invert, lifting off the pan.
Sponge cake is ready 🙂
Preparation of cake for Mousse cake
1. Once the cakes are completely cooled, wrap it with plastic sheet and place the cake in the
refrigerator for at least an hour (or overnight).
2. With a serrated knife, cut horizontally to make 4 layers.
3. Now you can refrigerate the slices covered with plastic sheets till you wanna use it
4. Take a spring form tin of the same size of cake tin which you have used.
5. Place the first layer of the cake layer inside the tin.
Lets start making the 2nd layer.
For each layer of mousse you need,
Bittersweet Chocolate – 4 oz, chopped
unsalted butter – 1/2 tsp
unflavored Gelatin Powder – 1/4 tsp
Milk – 1/4 cup
Whipping Cream – 3/4 cup
You have to
1. Set a double boiler
2. Place a vessel of half filled water on the stove and bring to boil in medium to low temperature.
3. Keep a heat proof bowl on top of it.
4. Add the chocolate pieces and butter.
5. Stir occasionally. Allow to melt to a smooth sauce.
6. While the chocolate is melting we can whip the cream to soft peaks and keep aside.
7. Stir gelatin powder into milk and let sit for a minute. Heat milk to just below a simmer and then whisk into melted chocolate.
8. Once the chocolate is cool to room temperature.
9. Fold in the whipped cream to the chocolate.
10. Pour the mousse to the cake layer
11. Refrigerate for an hour.
For the 3rd layer,
Place next cake layer over the mousse.
Lets start making the 4th layer. Here you can use milk chocolate and repeat the same recipe as above. and pour the mousse over the 3rd cake layer.
After an hour place the next cake layer
Make the 6th layer layer using bitter chocolate. and refrigerate for an hour
And now finish with the last cake layer.Return the cake to the refrigerator and chill at least 2 hours. Thats it. You are done.
Before serving slowly remove the spring form tin. Slice with a long sharp knife and serve.
You could use a combination of dark, milk and white chocolate in each sandwich layer. Or just use one layer to make the 3 layer mousse over it. Please make sure to use the right knife to cut it. Else you shall end up mashing the mousse.
During one of the gatherings I made fish cutlets. my all time fav. I learned this recipe from my mom when I was in 4th or 5th standard