Hardly we used to buy vegetables from outside and if even if we buy those will be onions, carrots, potatoes, cabbage and cauliflower.
In all those vegetables, red spinach was my only favorite.. I remember my mom going to the vegetable garden after her breakfast and plucking some fresh spinach leaves.. and I will be given small tasks like cleaning them. It is a must to check and clean these leaves. Because there can be small worms or bugs under the leaves. So we have to check each leaves. Some of them may have flowers and/or roots. We have to discard those as well. Once it is cleaned well, we wash them several times in water.
Finely chopping these leaves without a chopping board is a skill and you can reach that perfection only after several years practice.. I have seen my granny, mom and aunts doing it so well. I couldn’t do it till today 🙂
I will try to update post the pics once I have them
- Red spinach leaves/ Cheera ( Amaranth leaves) – 4 cups finely chopped
- Onion– 1/4 cup chopped
- Salt to taste
- Coconut Oil – 2 tbsp
- Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Dry red chili – 1
- Curry leaves of a spring (It is optional..I hardly use curry leaves for leafy stir fries )
- Grated Coconut – 1/2 Cup
- Garlic – 1 small clove
- Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Green Chilies – 1 Slit
- Turmeric – A pinch
- Coarsely ground the ingredients mentioned under “To grind”. No need to add water
- Heat oil in a pan or clay pot.
- Add broken red chili and mustard seeds.
- Once the mustard popup, add the chopped spinach, salt and sliced onions.
- Saute well for 1-2 min.
- Make a small “well” in the mixture and add the coconut mixture and cover it with the spinach mixture.
- Cover the pan and cook on low flame for around 5-8 minutes. Do not add water.
- Remove the lid and stir fry continuously for another 1-2 minutes in high flame so that the water dries up.
- Serve with rice or chappathi.
I like to have this with rice, normal thenga chammandi or unakka chemeen chammandi, lemon pickle and curd
super healthy thoran………….
Hari Chandana says
Nice and healthy recipe.. thanks for sharing dear 🙂
This recipe seems to be super healthy…….love it.