I like kalajamun. It also tastes exactly like gulab jamun. Only difference I found is this. Dry jamuns more dark in color(i like that color) and it wont be served in the syrup. It will be sometime rolled in desiccated sweetened coconut powder topped with a half piece of a canned cherry.
I use the below recipe for most of the gatherings
For the Syrup
1. Sugar – 2.5 cup (You can increase or decrease the quantity as you desire)
2. water – 3 cups
3. Saffron – 5 strands
4. Green cardamom – 3 crushed
1. All purpose flour – 1 cup
2. Milk powder – 1.5 cup (i used NIDO)
3. Baking soda – 1/4 tsp
4. Heavy/Whipping cream as required
5. Refined oil for deep frying + 1 drop
1. Sift the maida and the milk powder and the baking soda
2. Knead slowly adding the cream until you get a stiff dough consistency.
3. Continue kneading for another 1-2 minutes and add 1 drop oil over the dough spread evenly.
4. Keep closed for approx 30 minutes to 1 hour
5. Divide the dough into marble sized balls (i made around 32 tiny balls with the above measurement) roll each balls ro a perfect round ball without any crack surface.
6. Heat oil in deep pan or wok in medium to low heat.
7. Meantime mix the water and sugar in a wide flat bottomed sauce pan. let it boil in medium to low flame till the sugar melts. allow to simmer for another 3-4 minutes. Add in the saffron strands and cardamom. Keep aside
8. Fry the balls in several batches till it is golden brown or a bit more darker color(i like to do this way though it is more time consuming. it will take around 10-15 minutes)
9. Drain and drop hot jamuns into the hot syrup.
10. Using a spoon carefully turn the jamuns which is inside a syrup(allow them to soak for at least 5-10 minutes each side)
11. Now remove the jamuns from syrup and to another bowl in which you are planning to store. (It is better to choose a bowl or large tiffin box which has a lid)
12. Once it is done. Pour the rest of the syrup over the soaked jamuns.
13. Allow to cool down and transfer it to a fridge.(If you want to serve without syrup discard the syrup before transfering to fridge)
14. Serve hot or cold.
Hari Chandana says
Looks mouth watering and perfect.. Yummy 🙂
I look delightful, I so want to grab 3-4 from my monitor :))
let me try once:D