Ayala porichathundu karimeen varuthathundu
Kodambuliyittu vecha nalla chemmeer kariyumundu
Thumpa poo niramulla cherumani chorunde
Uppilitta maangayundu unnaan vaa machunane
This is one of the fav food among Keralites(including me). But I hardly make it now a days. Fish fry is made different ways. My neighbor who is from North India, she says they add skinned mustard paste while preparing fish fry. Well, Ingredients changes different places.
- Mackerel Fish – 3 medium nos washed and cleaned
- Vinegar/Lemon juice – 1 tbsp
- Salt- 1 tsp
- Oil to fry
- Ginger & garlic paste – 1 tsp (homemade is better)
- Kashmiri chilly powder – 1.5 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Freshly crushed pepper – 1.5 tsp
- Lemon juice – 2 tsp
- Salt to taste
You have to
- Clean the fish properly. First wash it with salt..Then with lemon juice /Vinegar . Rinse and drain completely.
- Make shallow cut marks(lines) 1 inch apart of both sides of the fish
- Wash once again and drain the water.
- Make a fine paste of the ingredients for marination(If required all 1 to 2 tsp water)
- Marinate a thin paste over and fish and inside the slits.
- Keep the marinated fish for half an hour in the chiller.
- Heat oil in a thick bottom saute pan or clay pot
- Slide in the fish pieces one by one
- Deep fry or shallow fry both sides of the fish on medium heat.
- Once the fish pieces are crisp enough as you like.
- Remove and place it on a paper towel to drain the excess oil.
Serve hot with rice 🙂
Few old pics