When it is summer, I love preparing Aam Panna (“Aam” is Mango). Back in Bangalore my North Indian PG mate used to prepare this when it is summer.
Aam Panna is a North Indian drink. It is a healthy and tasty beverage. Raw mango, the flavor of Summer. And making a drink out of it is so refreshing and chilling.
- Raw mangoes – 2 large
- Cumin seeds – 2 teaspoons roasted and powdered for recipe + additional for garnishing
- Black salt (kala namak) – to taste (This is available in Indian Grocery stores. But this can be replaced with table salt)
- Sugar – 1/4 – 1/2 cup (According to your sweet level)
- Fresh Mint leaves – 1 hand full
You have to,
- Wash the raw mangoes very well.
- In a pressure cooker add the whole mangoes(with skin) and water. Water should be enough to cover the mangoes.
- Now pressure cook it for 2-3 whistles. Once the pressure goes open the lid
- Let them cool.
- Peel the skin. Remove the pulp and discard the skin and seed.
- Mash the pulp with a wooden spoon.
- Grind the mint leaves add this to the mango pulp along with cumin powder, black salt and sugar (Add 1/4 cup. If you feel the sweet is less then only add more.).
- Mix well till sugar is dissolved.
- The concentrate is ready. You can bottle at this stage and chill this (I generally make a day before and keep and consume in 2 days).
- When required, divide the mixture in tall glasses, fill it up with chilled drinking water. (This recipe should serve 4 or 6. Depends on glass)
- Stir well and serve. You can garnish it with roasted cumin powder
“khatta” and “Meeta” (Sour and sweet) Aam Panna is ready.