Very lately I prepared this at home. And liked it too… Most of the vegetarian recipes in Chinese cuisine is half cooked (That makes it healthy) and has less ingredients. And those few ingredients makes it so flavorsome.
- Boneless Chicken – 1/2 kg , cubed into bite pieces
- Soy Sauce – 2 tbsp
- Egg white/ full egg – 1 no
- Corn Flour – 2 tbsp
- Green Chilies – 4 to 5 finely chopped
- Spring Onion – 4 to 5 finely chopped
- Capsicum – 1 large sliced into thin strips or cubed
- Garlic crushed and finely chopped – 3 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Black or white Pepper Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Sugar – 1 teaspoon
- Water or Vegetable or Chicken stock – 1 cup
- Refined oil – 1 tbsp + extra shallow frying
- Take 1 tbsp Soy sauce, 1 tbsp corn flour, salt, egg in a bowl . Beat lightly.
- Add in chicken pieces and marinate in the mixture.
- Wrap the bowl with a cling sheet or just cover and leave for about 10-15 minutes in freezer.
- Heat oil in a pan in medium flame and shallow fry all the sides of the marinated chicken pieces till golden brown.
- Once it is done, remove from oil. Absorb the excess oil from the pieces with tissue paper.
- In a separate wok heat 1 tbsp. oil and add garlic paste and green chilies and saute for few seconds and add spring onions .
- Add 1 cup of water or stock. Bring to boil and add sugar, pepper powder, salt and remaining Soy sauce.
- Add fried chicken pieces to it and cook for 4-5 minutes. Add capsicum and continue the cooking process.
- Dissolve the remaining corn flour in 1/2 cup water and add to the curry stirring constantly to avoid lumps.
- Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Serve Chinese chili chicken hot garnished with chopped green onion tops. This goes well with fried rice
I made a simple vegetable fried rice to serve along with this chilli chicken. I generally add lot of vegetables in the fried rice i prepare. But depends on time I sometimes add the just few of them which will be available at home. For this rice preparation I have used only capsicum and carrots. The original fried rice recipe you could find here.