You can call this a one dish meal. You can simply have it without any side dishes. You could even prepare this with left over rice .
- Long grain rice – 1 cup
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Cloves – 3
- Peppercorns – 10
- Cinnamon stick – 1″ piece
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Cardamoms – 2
- Onions – 1 small sliced
- Green chilies – 2, sliced
- Ginger finely chopped – 1 tbsp
- Garlic crushed and finely chopped – 2 tbsp
- Tomato pulp – 1 cup (I used 2 tomatoes and blended in a mixer and strained)
- French beans – 6-8, chopped (optional)
- Carrot – 1 medium, chopped (optional)
- Frozen green peas – 1/4 cup (optional)
- Red chili powder – 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Fresh mint leaves – 8-10
- Fresh coriander leaves – 2 tbsp chopped
- Ghee – 1 tsp
You have to,
- Wash the rice without breaking the grains drain
- Soak rice in at least 1/4 cup of water for 10 mins.
- Heat oil add cloves, peppercorns, cinnamon stick, bay leaf and cardamom.
- Once they change color, add onions and green chilies. Saute
- When onions turn translucent, add ginger and garlic. After 2 mins add tomato pulp.
- Add chili powder, turmeric powder and salt. Fry till oil separates. Add vegetables and mix well.
- Add rice and mint leaves. Fry for a minute or two.
- Add two cups water, coriander leaves and ghee.
- Cover with a lid and allow to cook in steam on medium heat till the rice is done (else pressure cook it for 2 whistles).
- Serve hot with raita and/or salad
- Vegetables are optional. You can replace vegetables with chicken pieces. In that case it will be good if the chicken is marinated with chili powder and little curd and kept in the fridge for 30 mins. You can use 250 gm chicken, 2 teaspoon red chili powder and 2 tbsp curd for marinating. And steam it for 10-15 minutes.
- If you already have a cooked rice, you can simply skip vegetables. Once the tomato onion pasted is well roasted and oil is separated, add rice and toss well. You need 2 to 3 cups of cooked rice in that case
An old picture 🙂