I started loving pesto after my visit to Lavonne cafe in Banaglore. I like the vegetable sandwich there..That is the inspiration behind making this sandwich at home..
For pesto you need,
- Fresh basil leaves – 1 cup
- Toasted pine nuts – 3 tbsp
- Garlic cloves – 1 big clove
- Salt – 1/4 teaspoon
- Green chilies – 2
- Olive oil – approx 1/4 cup
- Grated Parmesan – 3 tbsp
For sandwich you need
- Eggplant – 1 medium
- zucchini – 1 medium
- Red onion – 1
- Salt and black pepper
- Olive oil – approx 3 tbsp
- Baguette bread – 1 (I cut them in 3 pieces)
- Mozzarella – 1/2 cup (Or use a combination of Mozzarella & Cheddar cheese) If you have fresh well and good..
To have prepare pesto you need to
- Pulse the basil, pine nuts, green chili, garlic and salt in a blender/grinder into fine paste.
- While the blender running, add the olive oil gradually to form a smooth and thick consistency. It smelled heaven
- Now transfer into a bowl and cheese.
- Check the salt and add more for your taste
- Now transfer this in a jar or bottle
- Close well and refrigerate.
- Try to use in 2 days
You have to,
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Cut eggplant and zucchini crosswise into thick slices
- Cut Onions into thick round slices
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over the eggplant, zucchini, and onion slices
- In batches, drizzle oil and grill the eggplant, zucchini, and onions until they are cooked.
- Allow to cool down a bit
- Slice the baguette then into 3 pieces.
- Spread both sides of the bread generously with pesto.
- Stack slices of eggplant, zucchini and onion
- Top with cheese.
- Place top half of baguette on top of the cheese
- Repeat the same with remaining baguette.
- Grill the sandwiches in pan or oven (the cheese will melt)
- You could use the normal bread
- You can replace basil leaves with coriander leaves