Fenugreek seeds and leaves are packed with health benefits. Fenugreek leaves are called Methi in Hindi language. Both the fresh and dried leaves can be used in recipes. I like methi leaves. I use fresh methi leaves in theplas, parathas or in normal sabzis. Dry methi leaves which is also known as kasuri methi can be used in any recipe which is veg or non veg. It is added towards the end of the cooking phase as a garnish. I love rubbing the dry leaves between my palms and sprinkling over the curries..that aroma is just amazing.
I know few people who doesn’t like fenugreek. I wonder how they cant love this
Back to story.. so my friend G send me the picture of the recipe and insisted me to give a try. Using the whole fenugreek seeds in a recipe, dint buy me at first. But when she was explaining the flavor and taste, I couldn’t resist myself from trying it. And I ended up licking my fingers. It was that delicious.
Simple ingredients and simple cooking technique….
- Chicken – 800 grams, cut into small chunks. You could replace this with boneless chicken
- Coconut oil – 3 tbsp (I prefer to use coconut oil to the recipes which has coconut milk, as it enhances more flavor. You could replace with refined oil)
- Onions – 2 finely chopped
- Ginger finely chopped – 1 tbsp
- Garlic finely chopped – 1 tbsp
- Green chili – 4 nos finely chopped
- Whole Fenugreek seeds – 1 tbsp, soaked for at least 4 hours
- Coriander powder – 2 teaspoon
- Red chili powder – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric – 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Thick coconut milk – 1 cup
- Vinegar – 1 teaspoon
- Dry fenugreek leaves – 1 tbsp (This wasnt mentioned in the original recipe)
You have to,
- Heat oil in a sauce pan in a medium flame
- Add onion, ginger and garlic. Saute till onion turn translucent
- Now add fenugreek seeds(discard the water in which it was soaked) and saute for a minute
- Add in dry powders- red chili, coriander and turmeric powders and saute
- Once the spices is roasted well and raw smell disappears, add chicken and fry well
- Fry till the color turned slight brown and then add salt to taste.
- Add coconut milk, give a stir and cook the chicken in low flame till it is done
- Once the chicken is cooked and the gravy thicken well add vinegar
- Let it simmer for couple of minutes.
- Remove from flame and garnish with dry methi leaves
- Serve with chappathi or paratha or rice
Notes: I have mentioned in the ingredients to soak the fenugreek seeds in water for atleast 4 hours. If you are planning to prepare in the morning, it can be soaked over night.