It was my first try!!! I am trying to make a sheekh kebab for the very first time at home.
Kebab is a Middle Eastern dish of pieces of meat, fish, or vegetables roasted or grilled on a skewer or spit. There are lot of variety in Kebabs. Sheekh Kebabs and Shammi Kebabs are made with minced meats.
Kebabs are cooked generally in a tandoor(clay oven). Last weekend I decided to try this on my new grill pan I purchased recently. I am happy to see the output. SK liked it.
- Chicken mince – 500 gm
- Onion – 1 medium sized finely chopped
- Garlic crushed and finely chopped – 1 tbsp
- Ginger finely chopped – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Coriander leaves chopped finely – 4 tbsp
- Red chili powder – 1 teaspoon
- Garam masala – 1/4 teaspoon (This is available in all Indian grocery stores)
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon grounded
- Turmeric – 1/4 teaspoon
- Green chilies – 3 nos finely chopped
- Ghee/Oil – 1 tbsp + to brush the kebabs while cooking it
- 4 bamboo skewers
You have to,
- Soak 4 long bamboo skewers in water. At least 30 minutes it should be soaked. This will avoid the skewer getting burned, when we place them on grilling pan or oven
- Heat 1 tbsp oil/ghee in a pan on medium flame
- Add in onion ginger, garlic and green chilies
- Saute well till onions turn translucent
- Remove from fire and add in to the chicken mince.
- Add all the other ingredients except the oil (which we reserved for grilling)
- With a wooden spoon mix well
- Cover with a cling sheet and refrigerate it for 10 minutes
- Now divide the mixture into four portions
- Take a hand full of each portion, mix and roll in the shape of sausages.
- Insert one bamboo skewer. Brush with ghee/oil
- Repeat the same with other 2 portions
- You can leave this rolls in chiller for another 15 minutes or till you are ready to grill. Make sure it is covered.
- Heat the grill pan on medium flame.( You could even grill it in an oven)
- Brush oil/ghee on the pan and place the skewers. Make sure to turn around all sides every 5 minutes. So that all sides are cooked through
- Slice and serve with rice/roti and raita.
This recipe serves 4 to 6 persons
I always thought making a sheekh kebab is very difficult task. But no, it is actually very simple. And delicious!!
- I won’t suggest to reduce the spice level. Kebabs tastes good when it is spicy.
- You could make these kebabs in small bamboo sticks. divide the mixture accordingly…