This is how I prepare Mutton curry. And I have this with Raagi mudde 🙂
- Mutton – 1/2 kg
- Onions – 2 large sliced
- Green chilies – 6 slit lengthwise (you can increase if you prefer it to be more spicy)
- Ginger – 2 tbsp chopped
- Garlic – 2 tbsp chopped
- Coriander powder – 2 tbsp
- Red chilly powder – 1 tbsp
- Pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala – check below
- Tomatoes – 2 large chopped
- coriander leaves chopped – 1/4 cup
- coconut slices broken into small pieces- 1/2 cup (optional)
- Curry leaves of 2 string
- Salt to taste
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Oil – 3 tbsp
You have to
- Wash and cut mutton to medium size pieces and keep it aside.
- Heat about oil in a pressure cooker or a heavy bottom pan in a medium to low flame.
- Add mustard seeds.
- Once it pops up add chopped onions, green chilies, curry leaves, coconut slices
- Once the onion turns translucent add the chopped ginger and chopped garlic and saute.
- Add coriander powder, red chilly powder, pepper powder and turmeric powder. Fry till the raw smell disappears.
- Now add mutton pieces, powdered garam masala, chopped tomatoes, salt
- Mix well so that the masala and the mutton pieces are blended well.
- Add 1/2 cup of water and mix it nicely.
- Close the pan with a lid and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles or cook covered till the mutton pieces are cooked.
- Once the pressure is done remove the lid.
- Allow to simmer till the gravy thickens.
- Add chopped coriander leaves towards the end
- And remove from the flame after 2 minutes.
- Serve with puttu or appam or chappathi or rice or pathiri or ragi mudde
- Cardamom – 3
- Cloves – 5
- Black Peppercorns – 15 nos
- Cinnamon – 2 inch piece stick
- Star Anise – 1 No
- Sauf (Fennel seeds) – 3/4 tsp
- Fry cardamom, cloves, peppercorns, cinnamon stick, star anise and fennel seeds in a non stick pan without oil for a minute.
- Crush using a mortar and pester and keep it closed.
Few old pics
hmmm…….yummy mutton curry….superb
Umm Mymoonah says
Wholesome healthy meal, loved both the recipes.
Never had raggi mudde before. The curry looks delicious. Am sure the combo is just deadly..!