Smallbrinjals – 8
Oil – 3 tbsp
Curry leaves – 1 strip
Tamarind pulp – 1 tsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Fenugreek seeds (methi dana) – 1/4 tsp
Coriander seeds – 2 tbsp
chana dal – 1 tbsp
urad dal – 1 tbsp
Dried red chillies – 4
Black peppercorns – 10
Asafoetida – 1/4 tsp
Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
Curry leaves – 2 strips finely chopped
Fresh Coconut gratted – 1/2 cup
Salt – to taste
You have to
1. Trim the heads of the brinjals and slit into four without separating the segments.
2. Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, coriander seeds, split Bengal gram and split black gram.
3. Saute for few seconds (once the color start changing
4. Add red chillies, black peppercorns, asafoetida, turmeric powder and curry leaves.
5. Remove from heat and add in the coconut.
6. Add salt and grind to coarse paste(If required add upto 1 tbsp of water)
7. Fill the slit brinjals with the masala.
8. Heat 3 tbsp of oil in a non stick kadai/wok/pan
9. Add curry leaves and the stuffed brinjals and remaining masalas
10. cover the pan and cook for a few minutes.
11. Mix the tamarind pulp with a little water and stir into the brinjals.
12. If you feel the dish is dry add another 1/4 cup of water
13. Cover and cook on medium heat for 20 minutes.
14. Serve hot with chappathi or roti or rice
Leave a Reply