People make upma in different ways. I love so many kinda upmas. In Bangalore, in most of the restaurants we get chow chow bath. They serve Upma(kara bath) and Kesari bath together. Upma is also know as upitu or kara bath. My friend Maria’s mom prepares upma in a different way. It tastes like biriyani and she puts lots of vegetables and beans. And it is healthy. Another Upma I like is the one which Radha gets in the lunch box. It is so soft and spicy. I still remember the taste. Both the upmas are sooo yum. I miss you gals 🙁
But one thing is there..till today I wasn’t able to prepare upma which is near to their dish. But I still keep trying.
I am sharing the actual recipe which I do always. This time i dint have all vegetables at home. Still I clicked the snaps and thought of sharing 🙂
- Semolina / Rava / Sooji – 2 cup
- Onion – 1 big finely chopped
- Frozen green peas – 1/4 cup
- Vegetables – 1 cup chopped (carrots, beans) boiled and strained
- Green chilies – 2 finely chopped
- Ginger – 1 tbsp grated
- Curry leaves of 2 string
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Cashew nuts – 5 to slit and roasted
- Coriander leaves – 1/4 cup finely chopped
- Oil – 1 tbsp (or less)
- Fresh Coconut grated – 1/2 cup
- Salt to taste
- Water – 2.5 cup
- Dry roast the rava in a non-stick pan until it turns a light brown and aroma comes.
- Transfer to a bowl when done and set aside to cool.
- Heat oil in the same pan in a medium flame and add the urad dal
- Once it start changing the color add mustard seeds and allow to pop up. Add curry leaves.
- Add the onions, green chilies and ginger. Fry for 4-5 mins until the onions turns translucent.
- Now add the frozen peas and vegetables. Saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Now add water. Add salt and allow to boil.
- Lower flame and now add the roasted rava little at a time.
- Keep stirring constantly.
- Close the pan with a lid and continue to cook for another 5 mins.
- Open the lid. Add coconut, chopped coriander leaves and roasted cashew nuts and mix well.
- Remove and serve hot with pickle or chutney.
First time to your space, I'm loving it. No doubt i'm following your blog.
I will be very Delighited to find you in my followers list.
Good Food Recipes
Food Blog News