- Dry red kidney beans – 1 cup, washed and soaked overnight in 4 cups of water
- Onion – 1 medium finely sliced
- Green chilies – 2 chopped
- garlic – 2 cloves grated/ground
- ginger – 1/2″ piece ground/grated
- coriander powder – 1/2 tsp
- turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- red chili powder – 1/2 tsp
- hing – 1/2 tsp
- cumin powder – 1/2 tsp
- tomatoes – 2 medium seeded and chopped
- Garam masala – 1/2 tsp
- salt to taste
- 3/4 cups milk
You have to:
1. cook the soaked Rajma (refer notes)
2. Heat the oil in a heavy bottom pan and fry sliced onions and green chillies till light brown.
3. Add garlic ,ginger, all dry spices except for the garam masala and fry well
4. Add tomatoes , fry some more and add the boiled Rajma with any liquid that is left over, mix well
5. Cook over low heat for around 10 minutes without closing the lid- mix well so that the bottom does not burn.
6. Add the milk and garam masala and simmer on very low heat. stir occasionally.
7. Garnish with coriander leaves.
8. Serve hot with jeera rice or white rice or chapatis or rotis
1. Wash and soak the red kidney beans for at least 8 hours. Then transfer to a cooker and add a pinch of hing and water enough to cover the beans and pressure cook for 5 whistles. Once the pressure is gone. Open and check if the rajma is cooked enough. i.e, if you press one bean with your finger, it will mash smoothly. if it is not done, continue cooking for another 3-4 whistles. Once done. strain and used for grinding
2. You can serve with fresh cream towards end
3. If you wanna make an instant garam masala, for this recipe coarsely ground 2 cardamom, 1 inch cinnamon stick, 3 cloves and 1/2 tsp shahi jeera.