I miss you Mom!! Though I had this several years back during my school days, I still remember that taste. Mom makes 2 versions of if. One with sugar another with jaggery, It is not very sweet. It is just yummy…
Paal pidi is a sweet rice dumplings. i.e, the rice dumpling are cooked in in coconut milk
For the Rice dumpling
- Roasted rice flour – 1/2 cup
- Salt as required
HotWater – 1/2 cup
- coconut oil – 3 drops
For the gravy
- Coconut Milk – 1 cup ( You could use the canned milk or freshly squeezed)
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Sugar – 3- 4 tbsp
- Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp coarsely grounded
- salt a pinch
You have to,
- Boil water and salt as required in a vessel
- Add the rice flour little by little and mix with a spoon until combined.
- When it is cool enough to touch, knead to a smooth dough. (If sticky use the oil and continue kneading)
- You can prepare around 30 small balls (or 60 if you want more smaller) . Keep aside
- In a wide sauce pan, bring coconut milk and water to a slow boil.
- Add crushed cumin powder and sugar and stir well.
- Reduce heat and slowly, add the rice balls to the pan. Spread it around in the pan.
- Cover and cook for around 8-10 minutes on very low to medium heat.
- Remove the pan from heat and switch off the flame
- Keep it covered until ready to serve.
- Serve it warm or in room temperature.
1. You could use 2 cardamom crushed 2 minutes before removing from fire..
2. Instead of sugar you could add 1/4 cup or less crushed jaggery
Leave a Reply