Parippu curry is a very common recipe in all house in Kerala. It is one of the main recipe served in a Feast. This is the first curry served. Little ghee is added on top add more flavor.
I liked to have Parippu curry with rice, papad and ginger curry..It is yummy.
- Green gram dal – 100 gms
- turmeric -1/2 tsp
- coconut oil/ghee – 1 tbsp
- mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Dry red chilli – 2
- Clarifed Ghee -1 tbsp (optional)
- Curry leaves of 1 spring
- Shallots(small onions) – 4 nos sliced thinly (This is optional)
- Asafoetida/hing – 1 pinch
For coconut paste
- Grated coconut -2 cups
- Cumin seeds -1/2 tsp
- green chilli – 2 nos
- shallots – 4 nos (Optional)
- curry leaves of 1 spring
You have to
- Dry roast the green gram dal in a pan for 1-2 minutes.
- Make sure not to burn or discolor
- Ground coarsely (just to break it) in a grinder (2-3 seconds)
- Now you could soak dal in water for 4 hours and then cook in a clat pot till doen.
- Or you can pressure cook immediately or later
- While cooking add turmeric, asafoetida and salt.
- Cook till done
- Add the ground masala and cook for a minute or two. We dont have to boil this alot
- For tempering heat oil in a pan
- add mustard seeds and allow to pop up
- Add broken dry red chilli and curry leaves
- Pour this over the dal mixture.
- Add ghee. It is optional
- Serve with rice