Kanji is very nutritious and the Kanjivellam (Rice Water strained after the cooking from par-boiled or boiled rice) is very good. A little salt is added to the kanjivellam. kanjivellam or Kanji is a super healer. Most physicians recommend kanji or kanjivellam for your diet when you are having flu.
During harvest, my mom used to prepare Kanji and Chembu(Corm) udacha curry for all the workers. And we used to carry this near the paddy field to give them. The kanji will be poured in a wide deep vessel and they are given a spoon which is made of Jack Fruit tree leaf. 🙂
check this picture. I got this after a google
I too used to sit with them and have kanji. It is such a wonderful feeling!!!
Normally we don’t need any reason to prepare Kanji.. .But this time I have it. We both are having fever. 😛
I try this recipe as this is easy and saves a lot of time and yea..it is tasty as well as healthy. Thanks my friend mic ..and those Bangalore days !!!
For Kanji you need
1. Boiled/Parboiled rice – 3/4 cup
2. Green Gram lentil – 1/4 cup
4. Grated coconut – 1/2 cup or Fresh coconut milk of 1 cup grated coconut (Optional)
5. Salt to taste
You have to
1. Wash rice and lentil together with water several times and strain.
2. Add 4 cups of water and pressure cook it for 3 whistles in high flame
3. Once the pressure is gone, open the lid and add salt and grated coconut or coconut milk.
4. Boil this for 2-3 min
5. Serve hot 🙂
Notes: To prepare the plain version just skip green gram lentil in the above recipe
Leave a Reply