Thanks to Sree , one of my friend and colleague in Bangalore. She used to get paniyaram to office very often. The taste was so nice. And she was kind enough to share the recipe with me.
And I could get to try this when I was on my vacation. I prepared this for my parents..later for my niece and then SK. They all were heavily impressed and I made it several times.
1. dosa/idli batter – 2 cups
2. carrots optional – 1/4 cup grated
3. onions – 1/4 cup chopped finely
4. green chilies – 1 tsp of chopped
5. ginger – 1 tsp grated
6. mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
7. Salt to taste
8. Oil – 2 tbsp + brushing the pan
9. Urad Dal – 1/2 tsp
10. Coriander leaves – 4 tbsp finely chopped
11. Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
12. Paniyaram Pan. It is the unniyappam pan
You have to,
1. In a small pan heat the oil, add the urad dal and mustard seeds.
2. Allow it to popup.
3. Add the chopped onions and saute until onions are tender. remove from flame
4. Now add all the ingredients and the tempering to the dosa batter.
5. Grease the paniyaram pan with oil.
6. Spoon the dosa mixture into the holes of the pan.
7. Drizzle oil all over the paniyarams
8. Heat the pan on medium heat and cover with a lid.
9. After 2-3 minutes, flip each paniyaram and allow it to cook the other side. without covering it.
10. Allow it to cook on medium low heat until the bottom is light brown and crisp.
11. Remove and continue with the remaining batter and serve with your favorite chutney.