Karthika Puzhukku is a kind of recipe which is prepare in Kerala (South India) in which all the edible tubers goes in. It is simple recipe where all tubers are boiled and seasoned with salt. As we had all kind of tubers in the vegetable garden, at home my mom prepares puzhukku in different manner. Puzhukku is nothing but a boiled and seasoned recipe in which all or few of the root vegetables goes in.
Sweet potatoes are considered to be more nutritious compared to white Potatoes. Few days back when I saw the sweet potatoes in the vegetable market, I thought of trying my mom’s recipe.. This particular recipe my mom generally prepares with Tapioca and I like it. She adds a bit if sugar to it.
- Sweet Potato – 1 large, skinned washed and cut into medium sized piecs (Approx 2 to 2.5 cups)
- Salt to taste
- Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
- Shallots, thinly sliced – 4 nos ( Or you could replace with a medium sized Onion which can be quartered and sliced)
- Green chili – 1 slit (optional)
- Freshly grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Curry leaves of a spring
You have to
- Boil water in a large wok to accommodate the Sweet potatoes.
- Add the sweet potato (The water should be at least 1 cm above the level of potatoes. If it is not, You could add in more water)
- Allow the potatoes to cook. Once it is almost cooked add salt to taste
- Let it boil for another a minute or two and then drain in a colander. Discard the water.
- In a large saucepan, heat coconut oil in medium flame.
- Add mustard seeds and allow to pop.
- Now you could add onions, green chili and curry leaves.
- Saute for a minute and add the cooked potatoes.
- Mash lightly with the wooden spoon (or back of the spoon which ever you are using for saute) . Don’t over do.
- Add the coconut and remove from flame. Mix once.
As the sweet potatoes are sweet, we don’t need to add sugar. But if you need it more sweet you can go ahead and add sugar while adding the sweet potatoes.
The crunchiness of the half cooked onions, slight heat of green chili and sweetness of potatoes and fresh coconut makes this recipe so delicious. Serve this warm as it is with a cup of tea or as a breakfast or as a dinner. For me this makes a complete meal.