June 1st.. It is always the school reopening day after 2 months summer holidays and it is same time when monsoon sets in. Rain means it is mushroom season. And we could get to see different color and variety of mushrooms which will be growing wild and free every where. Some of them peeping its head out from a drenched wooden bark or stones or mud…
My mom used to make a theeyal with those fresh monsoon delights. But all mushrooms are not edible. Some of them are poisonous. My mom carefully picks the good ones for the meal. Even after years I cannot identify which are the edible ones..
But today mushrooms are available in all grocery store regardless season. And without any worry you could just pick them and cook a meal..
This particular recipe courtesy goes to one of my friend Karthika. Her father shared this quick and tasty recipe with her… Though it looks simple, it tastes so delicious
And it is kinda blessing to get such recipes during your hurry burry mornings.
This recipe serves 2
- Fresh Button mushrooms – 250 gm, cleaned, washed and chopped
- Shallots – 5 skinned, topped, roots removed, washed and sliced finely (You could replace it with 1 medium sized Onion skinned, washed, quartered and finely sliced)
- Tomato – 1 medium, finely chopped
- Garlic – 1 clove, crushed and chopped
- Red chili powder – 1 teaspoon
- Green chili – 1 slit
- Turmeric – 1/4 teaspoon
- Salt to taste
- Water – 3/4 cup
- Coconut oil – 1 teaspoon
- Curry leaves of 1 spring
- In a small clay pot, add mushrooms, shallots, tomato, garlic, red chili powder, turmeric and water.
- Let it cook well in a medium flame till the tomatoes turn soft and mushy.
- The gravy will be a bit thick consistency now..
- Add salt and curry leaves and coconut oil
- Boil for a minute and remove from flame
This goes well with rice or chappathi
- With a paper towel or kitchen cloth lightly brush each mushroom’s head, one at a time. This will help to remove the thin skin.
- Next Trim the end of the stem part.
- Quickly wash all the mushrooms and drain. (Never leave mushrooms for a long time in water as it can absorb water)