It was very late I got a chance to have this at a friend’s place. She is a die hard fan of this. And I was not so interested because it was a “coconut” rice. (Reason is very weird and funny. I don’t like bounty.. )
And that day onwards, I started liking it. It is such a tasty snack, so flavorful. And it is so easy to prepare. You can take it in your lunch/snack box.
- Cooked Rice – 2 cups (You can use Basmati Rice. Cook the rice with salt. )
- Freshly grated coconut – 1 cup
- Coconut Oil – 2 teaspoon (Coconut oil is preferred, it adds a great flavor to this recipe)
- Mustard seeds – 2 teaspoon
- White urad dal – 2 teaspoon
- Hing/asafoetida – 1 pinch
- Dry Red Chilies – 3 or 4
- Curry leaves – 2 springs
- Salt – a tiny pinch to taste
You have to,
- In medium flame heat oil in a large pan which can accommodate rice
- Add urad dal , followed by mustard seeds.
- Once the mustard pops up, add red chilies, hing and curry leaves
- Add coconut. Saute for approx 2 minutes. Don’t allow to change the color of coconut. (You can add coconut at this stage. Just a tiny pinch.You could even ignore)
- Now add the rice and remove the pan from the flame or switch it off
- Mix well. Serve hot or warm
It tastes well even without any side dishes. This comfort food is a must try and my fav!!!
Leave a Reply