Chicken washed cleaned and skinned and cut into medium chunks – 1 kg
Turmeric Powder – 1/2 tsp
Kashmiri Red Chilli Powder – 2 tsp
Vinegar/lemon juice – 1 tsp
Salt – to taste
Onion – 6 nos sliced thinly
Ginger & garlic finely chopped – 4 tbsp
Coriander Powder – 2 tbsp
Red Chilli Powder – 2 tbsp
Garam Masala – 2 tsp
Fennel/perumjeerakam seeds roasted and crushed or powdered – 1 tsp
Tomato – 4 sliced
Thick coconut milk – 1.5 cup
Curry leaves of 4 strings
Coconut oil or refined Oil as required (1/2 cup should be enough)
You have to
1. Marinate the chicken pieces with ingredients listed under marination
2. Keep in the refrigerator in chiller for 15-20 minutes.
3. Shallow fry the chicken pieces in a nonstick pan or wok till it becomes golden brown (no need to cook completely)
4. Remove the chicken pieces from the pan.
5. Repeat this in batches to fry all the chicken pieces.
6. To the same pan, add sliced onions.
7. Once onions become golden brown in color. Add ginger & garlic & cook for 3-4 minutes.
8. Add coriander, red chilli, garam masala, fennel powder & salt.
9. Fry till raw smell disappears and the oil starts appearing.
10. Now add sliced tomatoes & curry leaves.
11. Mix well & when tomatoes become soft add the fried chicken pieces and mix.
12. Add thick coconut milk and mix
13. Cover & cook till the gravy is very thick. and the masala is coated well on the chicken
14. Serve the semi-thick gravy with appam, chappathi, rice or idiyappam.