1. toor dal – 1/2 cup
2. turmeric – 1/4 tsp
3. oil – 2 tablespoons oil
4. cumin seeds – 1/2 teaspoon
5. mustard seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
6. Pinch of asafetida (hing)
7. 10-12 curry leaves
8. 4 dry whole red chilies
9. tomato – 1 large cubed in small pieces
10 Mixed vegetables cubed in bite size (green beans, carrot, cucumber, pearl onions, potato, drumstick) – 1.5 cup
11. tamarind pulp – 2 tablespoons
12. salt to taste
13. Sambar powder – 1 tbsp (This is available in any Indian grocery store)
You have to,
1. Wash and soak dal in about 2 cups of water for 20 minutes.
2. In pressure cooker add soaked dal, about 2-1/2 cups of water, asafetida and turmeric then cook on medium high heat for 2 whistles.
3. Turn off the heat and wait until pressure is gone. Dal should be soft.
4. Mix dal well enough so there are no lumps. (If dal is thick add up to 1 cup of water)
5. Add in the vegetables and sambar powder mixed with ½ to 1 cup water.
6. Covered the pan and let the vegetables cook till they are tender over medium heat.
(If at any point the sambar is thick, add water as needed. ).
7. Heat the oil in a saucepan.
8. Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds, red chilies, and curry leaves, and then stir for a few seconds.
9. Add tomatoes, tamarind pulp.
10. Add this over the cooked vegetables . Season with salt and simmer it for another 10 minutes.
11. Garnish with corriander leaves