White Chickpeas/ Kabuli Channa – 1/2 cup
Asofetida – 1 pinch
Onion – 1 big chopped
Tomato – 1 medium chopped
Green chilli – 2 slit
Ginger – 1 tbsp crushed and chopped
Garlic – 1 cloved crushed and chopped
Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
turmeric – 1/2 tsp
Oil – 1 tbsp
Salt to taste
Cumin seeds – 1/2 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
Cinnamon stick – 1 piece(1 inch) broken
You have to,
1. Wash the chickpeas. Soak them in 4 cup of water overnight or atleast 8 hours
2. Wash the chickpeas again . Add asofetida, 2 cups of water and pressure cook the peas for 4-5 whistles. Once the pressure is done, remove the lid.
3. Heat a deep saucepan or a medium sized wok and add the oil followed by cumin seeds and mustard. Once it pop up add the onions.
4. Once onions turns translucent add ginger garlic .
5. Add turmeric and red chilli powders and roast till the raw smell goes.
6. Add the chopped tomatoes and the cooked chickpeas along with the water(If water is less add upto 1/2 cup water)
7. Cover and simmer for 5-10 minutes.
8. Then add the garam masala and chopped corriander leaves. Cook for another minute.
9. Serve with puttu or rice 🙂
Note: this curry can be prepared in a different way using coconut milk. What I do is I add 1 cup of coconut milk just before step 8. Add the garam masala and coriander leaves. Once it starts boiling remove it from fire stirring continuously.