I had this dal for the first time when i was staying in my PG. My PG mate and friend V used to prepare this on Saturdays (if i am right) during her fasting.
This has a creamy texture and it goes very well with jeera rice or chappathi.
Dal Makhani is a protein rich recipe of Punjabi cuisine. It is so good that you could even drink it as a soup..
- Black gram lentil/ Urad dal – 1/2 cup
- Red kidney beans / Rajma – 2 tablespoon
- Salt to taste
- Tomato – 2 big
- garlic – 8 cloves
- ginger – 1 inch piece
- cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Red chili powder – 1 to 1.5 teaspoon
- Garam masala – 1 teaspoon
- Low fat milk(optional) – 1/2 cup
- Oil – 2 teaspoon
- Fresh cream – 1 teaspoon or more for garnishing
- Soak sabut urad and rajma overnight in 6 cups of water.
- Drain, wash and pressure cook them in three cups of water with salt till completely cooked and soft. 5-6 whistles will do.
- Remove from flame and low the pressure to go
- Grind together tomatoes, garlic and ginger to a smooth puree.
- Heat oil in a thick bottom sauce pan.
- Add cumin seeds.
- When they begin to crackle add the tomato puree, red chili powder and stir well .
- Simmer for 10 minutes
- Mash the cooked dal mixture slightly and add this to the tomato mixture in sauce pan.
- Add garam masala powder and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the low fat milk and simmer for another 5 minutes
- Serve hot garnished with cream
- It goes well with ghee rice or jeera rice or naan or roti or plain rice.
1. You could add 1 tbsp ghee or butter with the oil
2. Instead of low fat milk add half cup cream towards the end of cooking in addition to the garnish