For many years, right from my childhood, my mom used to prepare this for most of the festivals, especially for Onam. This year as me and my bro was there at home, she prepared this for us. It was a combined effort. The filling was already prepared and stored. Mom made the dough. I rolled the puris and my brother did the filling 🙂
With the below mentioned measurement we can make approx 20-25 nos of Karanji. Still it all depends on what size you roll the puris and the stuffing which go inside.
- All purpose flour/Maida – 1 cup
- Oil/Ghee – 1 tbsp
- Water/Milk – 1/2 or as required for kneading
- Egg white – 1 (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Coconut – around 2 cups
- Rava/semolina – 1/2 cup
- Cardamom powder – 2 tsp freshly grounded
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Raisans and chopped cashewnuts – 1/4 cup
- seasame seeds(black/white) – 4-5 tbsp
- Karanji mould (If you don’t have the mould you can simply fold the edges or stick the edges with water
- Oil/ghee for deep frying
You have to
- Mix all the ingredients given above under dough and knead well and form a dough
- Keep aside for ½ an hour covered and then knead again , till the dough is soft and smooth.
- Now you could cover this and keep.
preparing the filling
- Dry roast the coconut till it become light brown color
- Repeat the same with rava and sesame seeds.
- Now take a big bowl and mix the coconut, rawa, cardomom powder, sugar and dry fruits.
- The filling is ready
- Divide the dough in to small lemon size balls, approx. 20-25.
- Roll each ball into about 3 inch diameter puris.
- Place this puri on the Karanji mould.
- Now add 2 tsp filling at the center of the puri.
- Close the mold to seal the edges.
- Repeat the process till all dough is used.
If you don’t have a karanji mold, Apply water on the edges of the puri with finger and close the edges of the puri in a half moon shape. Press gently and firmly on the edges of the karanji (check below)
- Place raw karanjis in a clean dry plate, covered. (else the covering shall dry up and break)
- Deep fry the Karanjis till golden brown.
- Repeat the process in different batches.
- Sit back and enjoy the crunchy snack 🙂
For filling you can add chopped alomonds and/or pistachios