So during the bean harvest, we dry these in the sun. And later sell some and store the rest in big containers and use for the rest of the year.
My mom used to prepare this recipe those days. Dried beans or legumes are an inexpensive way to include a lot of nutrition in your diet
- Red cow peas- 1/2 cup
- Fresh Grated Coconut- 1/4 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Asafoetida- a tiny pinch
- Sugar – 2 teaspoon
- Soak the beans over night or for 6 hours in 2 cups of water.
- Strain and wash and add 2 cups of water
- Transfer this to a Pressure cooker and cook in medium flame for 1 whistle
- Keep aside and wait till the pressure goes
- Open the lid and add salt to boil for 2 minutes (don’t cover with lid now)
- Strain if water is left and discard the water
- Transfer the lentils back to the cooker pan. Add sugar, coconut and give a toss.
- Serve warm or in room temperature
This makes a great breakfast or it is good to eat as a mid day snack