It is flavorful and spicy. And for moment you may feel it is a rasam rice.
- Long grain basmati rice- 1 cup
- Refined oil – 2 tbsp
- Tamarind – 1 tbsp seeded
- Onion 1, quatered and sliced
- Small Brinjals – 5 , topped and cut into 4 pieces
- Green chilies 2
- Split bengal gram (chana dal) – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds 1/2 teaspoon
- Whole dry red chillies 2
- Curry leaves of 1 sprig
- Turmeric powder 1/4 teaspoon
- Asafoetida – a tiny pinch
- Salt to taste
- Water – 2 cup + 1/4 cup(if required)
- Dry red chilies 2
- Black peppercorns 1 teaspoon
- Fennel seeds – 1/4 teaspoon
- Poppy seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Cloves 1
- Cardamoms 1
Few prerequisites before you start preparing the rice
1. Wash and soak the chana dal in some water for 10 minutes
2. Take one lemon sized portion in a bowl. Add very hot water to it. Allow it to stand for 10-15 minutes. squeeze well and extract the juice. Discard the residue
3. Wash rice without breaking the grains.. drain and keep aside for atleast 10 minutes
4. Dry roast ingredients mentioned under “For masala”. Cool a bit and grind to a coarse powder.
Once the above steps are done we can start preparing the rice. You have to,
- Heat the oil in medium flame in a large pan or sauce pan
- Add mustard seeds, red chilies, curry leaves and the strained chana dal.
- Once the mustard popup, add the onion and green chilies
- Saute till onions turn traslucent
- Add the brinjals and stir-fry
- Add turmeric, asafoetida, salt and the tamarind pulp
- Add grounded masala powder.
- Saute well and cook till the brinjal is half done
- Now add the rice and 2 cups of hot water
- Cover and cook in medium flame till the rice cooked.
- (Check in between. If the water dries up 1/4 cup of water and continue cooking till the rice is done)