A Flash back.
I was studying in 4th or 5th Standard. It was a Friday. And one person came to school and he was doing a campaign about the goodness of the fruits and vegetables available in Kerala. And he was having so many small recipe books with him. Me and my brother was studying in the same school. I wanted to buy that book to gift it to my mom. I don’t remember clearly, but at last somebody bought that book. Evening we gave it to mom so happily.
Mummy was very happy. Next day morning after our breakfast my mom kept 2 glasses of green juice on top of the dinning table. It was for me and my brother. I asked her what is it. And she told this is one recipe from that book which we got her last evening. One of the healthy juice. Indian gooseberry Juice. I was jaw dropped.
(All the recipes were mentioned in Malayalam. I was very weak in reading Malayalam those days. I started learning it properly in 6th Standard..)
I don’t like Indian gooseberry or Amlas (even now). And drinking a glass full of amla juice is something which I couldn’t even imagine of. But no excuses..I just gulped it!!!! The healthy juice became a routine for the next several days and years…
Even now I don’t like to Amlas (gooseberries). When I had been to Waynad, I saw huge glass jars kept in shops, which was filled with Amlas. At first I thought those are salted ones. But it was sweet and sticky candy. I liked the taste.
When I got a bottle of honey from Coorg. I thought of making this recipe.
Here is the recipe
1. Fresh Indian gooseberries – 10 nos
2. Honey – 250 ml
3. A tiny pinch of Saffron (It give nice color and flavor)
You have to,
1. Wash the gooseberries well
2. Wipe it well with a kitchen towel. It shouldn’t have any moisture on it
3. Keep a glass jar ready. It should washed and dried very well
4. Seed the gooseberries and put the pieces inside the glass jar. (You can skip this step and add the whole gooseberry inside the jar)
5. Fill honey in the jar.
6. Sprinkle saffron strands.
7. Close the jar tightly. Shake it once
8. Keep it in a dry dark place in your kitchen
9. You can shake the jar once every day.
10. DO this for 15-20 days.
11. By now, the you could see the gooseberry has leaved lot of juice.It is ready
Consume few pieces or a whole gooseberry daily. Or a tablespoon of juice. Both the syrup and gooseberry is good for you.