Lady’s finger or Okra or Vendaykka is a common vegetable available in vegetable market. Not many are fond of it (includes me). Few people love this. I remember this protein dish used to be one of the side dish in my lunch box. The combo is Rice + Thenga Chammandi (A coconut chutney) + Vendakka Mezhukkupuratti + Curd. I always used to discard this mezhukkupuratti and enjoy the rest of the food.
Lady’s finger/ vendaykka / Okra – 3 cups washed, dried, topped, tailed and sliced
Onions – 1 big skinned, quartered and sliced
Green chilies – 2 nos sliced
Coconut oil (preferred) – 3 tbsp
Dry Red chill – 2 nos
Curry leaves of 2 springs
Salt to taste
You have to,
1. Heat a frying pan/wok/non-stick pan in medium to low flame
2. Add the dry chilies
3. Add Mustard seeds and allow to pop up
4. Add in curry leaves, onions and green chilies one after another
5. Saute till the onion turn translucent
6. Stir in the lady’s finger and fry well. Add salt and stir fry.
7. Make sure not to cover the pan.
8. Stir fry occasionally and continue this for 5-10 minutes. It is done
Server hot with rice or chapatti
1. Wash the Okra and dry in 2-3 hours in advance you are cooking. You can do it over night or in the morning
2. If you are not using a non stick pan, it can tend to stick in the bottom, if you feel so, you can add 1 tbsp water occasionally to avoid it
3. Choose the tender okra’s for this recipe