Red Velvet Cake:
1. sifted cake flour – 2 1/2 cups (250 grams)
2. salt – 1/2 teaspoon
3. cocoa powder – 2 tbsp
4. unsalted butter – 1/2 cup (113 grams) , at room temperature
5. granulated white sugar – 1 1/2 cups (300 grams)
6. Egg – 2 large
7. pure vanilla extract – 1 tsp
8. buttermilk – 1 cup (240 ml)
9. liquid red food color – 2 tbsp
10. Distilled vinegar – 1 tbsp
11. baking soda – 1 tsp
Cream Cheese Frosting:
1. cream cheese – 8 ounce (227 gm) , room temperature ( i used fat free)
2. unsalted butter softened – 100 gm ( replace it with 8 ounce (227 grams) tub of Mascarpone cheese)
3. pure vanilla extract – 1 tsp
4. castor sugar, sifted – 1 cup (or bit more to reach the consitency of the cream)
5. cold heavy whipping cream – 1 1/2 cup
For Red Velvet Cake
you have to
1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees C
2. Butter two 9 inch round cake pans
3. Line the bottoms of the pans with baking paper and set aside.
4. In a mixing bowl sift together the flour, salt, and cocoa powder. Set aside.
5. Beat the butter until soft for about 1-2 minutes using an electric beater.
6. Add the sugar and beat until light and fluffy. i.e., about 2-3 minutes.
7. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
8. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add the vanilla extract and beat until combined.
9. Whisk the buttermilk with the red food color.
10. With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and buttermilk to the butter mixture
11. In a small cup combine the vinegar and baking soda.
12. Allow the mixture to fizz and then quickly fold into the cake batter.
13. Working quickly, divide the batter evenly between the two prepared pans and smooth the tops with an offset spatula or the back of a spoon.
14. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 25 – 30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cakes comes out clean.
15. Cool the cakes in their pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
16. Place a wire rack on top of the cake pan and invert, lifting off the pan.
17. Once the cakes have completely cooled, wrap in plastic and place the cake layers in the refrigerator for at least an hour or overnight.
For Cream Cheese Frosting
You have to
1. In the bowl of your electric mixer, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth.
2. Add the vanilla essence castor sugar and beat until smooth.
3. Using the whisk attachment, add the heavy cream and whip until the frosting is thick enough to spread.
4. Add more sugar as needed to get the right consistency.
1. Cut each cake layer in half, horizontally.
2. Place one of the cake layers, onto your serving platter.
3. Spread the cake layer with a layer of frosting.
4. Place another layer of cake on top of the frosting and continue to frost and stack the cake layers.
5. Frost the top and sides of the cake.
Recipe source : Joy of Baking