I used my tiny tart tins to make it 🙂
For the pastry
Plain flour – 1/2 cup
salt – 1/2 tsp
sugar – 1/2 tsp
Really cold butter – 75 gms cut into 1cm cubes( keep the butter in the freezer 30 minutes before using)
For the pie filling
Refined oil – 1 tbsp (you could use butter as well)
onion – 1 medium quatered and sliced or chopped
garlic cloves – 2
Button mushrooms – 250 gm sliced or chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper
Skimmed milk – 1/4 cup (You could replace it with half amount of double cream and full fat milk)
Cheddar cheese – 2 tbsp
Egg – 1 small
For the pastry,
1. Sift the flour with sugar and salt.
2. In a food processor pulse this with chilled butter. (2-3 pulse)
3. Do this till the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
4. Add 1 or 2 or 3 tsp water to bring the mixture together
5. Transfer this to a flat surface and knead to form a smooth dough.
6. Dont give much pressure. The butter may melt.
7. Wrap the pastry in cling sheet and chill in the fridge for 10-15 minutes.(If you wanna split this you can make seperate dough balls, do that this stage. cling and chill them)
8. Roll the dough out on a floured surface and line it on the preferred buttered tart tin. Use fork to make small pores on the base.
9. Cling and chill for another 30 minutes.
10. Pre-heat the oven to 180 deg cel
11. Now remove cling sheet and line the chilled pastry tin with aluminium foil
12. Spread chick peas or red kidney beans evenly to cover the base. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
13. While the tart gets cooked, cook the filling. Heat oil in a pan in medium flame. Add chopped garlic, onions and mushrooms. Saute.
14. Add in salt and pepper. Cook till the water oozed out from the mushrooms dries up. Add cheddar cheese mix
15. In a bowl beat egg and add in milk (if required add a pinch of pepper and salt to taste) . Mix well and keep aside.
16. Once the tart is cooked, remove it from the oven. remove the aluminium foil and beans
17. Spread evenly the mushroom filling over the cooked tart. Pour the milk-egg mixture over it.
18. Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the filling is set.
19. Allow to cool. Remove from tin. Slice and serve 🙂
1. I used grinder to pulse the dough mix
2. Make sure the pie crust is baked well when you are baking it at step-12