Freshly grated coconut – 1.5 cup
Dry shrimp/prawns – 1 cup
Shallots/small pearl onions – 1/4 cup
Red chilli powder – 1.5 tsp(you can reduce if it is spicy)
asafoetida – a pinch
Tamarind – 1/4 tsp seeded (optional..I dint add)
Oil – 1 tsp
Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
Salt to taste
Curry leaves – 3 to 4 leaves
1. Dry roast the prawns in a pan for 5-10 minutes in medium flame.
2. Put this in a deep bowl and add water. Wash thoroughly.
3. At this stage you can see the skin particles floating on top. remove them away.
3. Strain and keep prawns aside. (yields 1/2 to 3/4 cup)
4. In Grinder mince the prawns(1 or 2 pulses) and transfer it to a larger bowl.
5. In the same jar, add shallots, red chilli powder, asafoetida and Tamarind mince for 2 pulse.
6. Add coconut to the same jar and grind (1-2 pulse).
7. Transfer this to the same bowl in which minced prawns are kept.
8. Mix well with spoon.
9. Heat oil in a pan in medium flame.
10. Add mustard seeds and allow to popup.
11. Add curry leaves followed by the coconut-prawns mixture.
12. Mix well. Add salt to taste.
13. Saute till the mixture is evenly hot.
Best with rice or Kappa(boiled tappioca)