My mom prepares this once in a while back at home. This is one of my favorite recipe from school days. I like to eat this with some theeyal or chutney. But it goes well with any non vegetarian gravy. Once I started working I used prepare this this more often for dinner. It is that simple.
As we are adding wheat flour, it can categorized under the healthy meal.
- Wheat flour (Atta/Gothambu maavu) – 1 cup
- Water – 2 to 2.5 cups
- Salt to taste
- ghee/sesame oil to cook the pancake
- In a bowl add wheat flour, salt and water.
- Now whisk the batter without any lumps. (The consistency of batter must be like thick buttermilk, not too watery or not too thick)
- Heat griddle pan in a medium flame.
- Lightly oil the pan and rub it with a horizontally cut onion.
- When the pan is hot (not smoking), pour a ladle full of batter and spread on its own to form a fairly thin layer.
- Drizzle few drops of ghee or sesame oil on the center and edges of the pancake.
- Wait for approx 1 minute till the bottom of the dosa is cooked sides turn slightly brown
- Now using a spatula gently flip it.
- Cook for another 1 min and Now remove the dosa from pan.
- Repeat the same with the remaining batter.
- Serve hot with red coconut chutney or white coconut chutney.
1. Just after making the smooth batter, you could add in some finely chopped onion + green chili . For a healthy touch add grated carrots
2, When ever I have some left over dosa/idli batter I add in some wheat flour and some water and whisk it. And make normal dosas. (Mom’s tip)
Few old pics