Rava Idli is part of famous Udupi Cuisine. It is available in most of the restarants in Karnataka. I had it first time from one of the famous restaurant named Adigaas. I just loved it. Later once tow got this for her lunch. It was yummy :). She told me that the Rava can be fried and kept. And it can be used whenever required.
Once when I was browsing, I saw this recipe in Showmethecurry. Then I thought of making and did try so many times. Though the rava idlis can be prepared using the baking soda, I do suggest to use Eno. It makes things so simple. And it always worked for me that way.
Sooji /Semolina /Rava – 1 cup
Oil – 1 tbsp + for coating the Idli trays
Mustard Seeds – 1/2 tsp
Asofoetida – pinch
Channa dal – 1/2 tsp
Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
Dry Whole Red Chili – 1
Cashew Pieces – 8 nos split
Yogurt – 1/2 cup, well beaten
Curry Leaves – 1 sprig
Green Chili – 1 finely chopped
Corriander leaves – 2 tbsp finely chopped
Ginger – 1 tsp grated
Salt to taste
Water – 1/2 cup
ENO Fruit Salt(plain flavor) – 1 tsp
You have to
1. Heat Oil in pan on medium heat and add broken red chilli, channa dal, urad dal and mustard seeds
2. Once mustard seeds pops up add Asofoetida, channa dal, urad dal and mix and allow to turn brown.
3. Add in cashew nuts and sooji. mix well.
4. Fry till nice fragrant smell comes or you see the Sooji turns light brown.
5. Immediately remove sooji to a medium bowl and allow it to cool (This mixture can be stored in an air tight container and can be used when ever required)
6. lightly oil Idli trays.
7. Prepare the steamer by pre heating water to a boil in medium flame.
8. In a bowl, whisk yogurt, curry leaves, green chilies, cilantro, ginger, salt and mix well.
9. Add in this to the cooled Sooji slowly and mix .
10. Add water little by little and form a batter without any lumps.
11. Leave it closed for 10-15 minutes
12. Add ENO Fruit Salt and mix well. (Eno should be added just before you pour the mixture into the idli trays. The mixture will foam up)
13. Pour mixture into the idli trays and put the idli stand inside the steamer(make sure not to burn your hands).
14. Place a tight lid on the steamer and steam idlis for 15 minutes.
15. Remove the idli stand from steamer and scoop the idlis in a plate
16. Serve hot with veg kurma or potato sagu or chutney
1. Oil can be replaced with ghee
2. I lined sliced tomato pieces on the idli trays before pouring the batter