My mouth keep watering when I hear about Malabar Biriyani. Other than the Biriyani which my mom prepares, i like Malabar Biriyani and Hyderabadi Biriyani 😛
Today I prepared Malabar Chicken Biriyani. 🙂
This was for “dido’s lunku” …:D…
When Smita told about this idea, I happily accepted as i like to give surprises…
Now Let me share the recipe. As the plan was unexpected I dint have few ingrediants like cashew, mint leaves at home…But I am sharing the orginal recipe which serves 4…
For the Rice
1. Vayanadan Matta Rice/Biriyani Rice- 2 cups
2. Hot Water- 3 cups
3. Cardamom- 2 nos
4. Cloves- 2 nos
5. Cinnamon- 1 small piece
6. Bay Leaf- 1 nos.
7. Curry Leaves of 2 strands
8. Ghee- 2 tbsp
9. Onion – 1/2 portion of a medium Onion sliced
10. Salt- To taste
11. Lemon juice of 1 small lemon
12. Mace – 1 piece
1. Sauf – 1 tsp
2. Poppy seeds – 1 tbsp powdered
3. Garlic Pods- 2-4 cloves
4. Ginger-paste – 1/2 inch
5. Green chillis – 5 nos
6. Curd – 1/2 cup
1. Cardamom- 3 nos
2. Cinnamon- 1 inch
3. Cloves- 2 nos
4. carway seeds – 1/2 tbsp
5. Bay leaf – 1
6. Mace – 1 small piece
For the Chicken Masala Gravy
1. Chicken- 1/2 kg cut in to medium pieces cleaned and washed
2. Onions- 2 Medium nos (Thinly Sliced)
3. Tomatoes- 1 Big nos (Chopped)
4. Red Chilly Powder- 1 tsp
5. Turmeric Powder- 1/2 tsp
6. Coarsely Crushed Pepper- 1/2 tsp
7. Corriander Powder – 1 tsp
8. Curry Leaves- A handful
9. Coriander Leaves- A handful
10. Salt to taste
11. Cooking Oil/Ghee- 1/4 cup
For Layering and Garnishing
1. Onions- 1 Medium nos (Thinly Sliced)
2. Mint Leaves- 1/4 Cup
3. Coriander Leaves – 1/4 Cup (Finely chopped)
4. Cashews- 1/4th Cup
5. Milk- 1/4th Cup
6. Saffron Strands- 2 tsp
7. Ghee- 2 tbsp
For marination you have to,
1. Dry roast the Biriyani Masala and powder it
2. Add in sauf, poppy seed powder, ginger, garlic and green chillies
3. Grind all to a nice paste.
(You could even add 5 cashew nuts for a rich feeling)
4. Add the chicken, grinded paste, salt and curd.
5. Keep it chiller for 15 min or 30 min in room temperature
For Preparing the Biryani Rice you have to,
1. Wash the raw rice and drain and keep aside.
2. Heat the ghee in a large vessel and add dry spices , curry leaves and stir for a minute or till aroma comes
3. Now add Onion and allow to turn pink.
4. Add the drained rice and saute well for 3-4 minutes
5. Pour water and add in the lemon juice and salt to taste
6. Cook in medium heat closed with a lid. This should take approx 10 min
7. Check in between whether water is absorbed completely.
8. Once the rice is done(Rice is 3/4 cooked), remove from fire and keep aside.
For preparing the Chicken Masala you have to,
1. Heat oil in a vessel
2. Add crushed pepper followed by Onions and curry leaves.
3. One onions turn light brown add in the marianted chicken, red chilli powder, corriander powder, turmeric,corriander leaves, salt to taste and mix well
4. Cook in medium heat for 20 minutes.
5. Check in between if the gravy is getting dried up. If so, add 1/4 cup water.
6. Once chicken is done, remove from fire and keep aside
For preparing the garnish and Layer:
1. Add 1 tbsp of ghee to a frying pan and brown the cashews. Set aside the cashews.
2. Add rest of the ghee and shallow fry the sliced onions. till hey are brown and crispy. Make sure that you do not burn the onions. Set aside the fried onions
3. Warm the milk and mix the saffron strands and set aside.
For the final layering
1. Take a deep thick bottom vessel and grease it with a little ghee.
2. Complete the first layering with a couple of chicken pieces without the gravy .
3. Complete the second layering with the basmati rice.
4. Sprinkle some fried onions, chopped coriander leaves, mint leaves, cashews and 2 tsps of saffron milk.
5. Repeat the layering in the – chicken with gravy-rice-garnish, sequence.
6. Close the vessel with lid, and keep it on low flame for about 10-15 min, till the steam comes out from the top layer of the layering
7. Serve the biryani with some coconut chutney, raitha, papaddam and lime pickle.