There was a time I used to tell my mother “mummy gimme rice ,yellow curry and curd”….I guess that is the first taste i remember when I was a kid…
And one day..when i was crying (there was no curd at home that day)….my brother came told me…”manjooo….yellow curry is made with curd only..”…I asked “Really!!! how is it possible…how could a white curd can turn yellow and how the taste is different”… If i am not wrong my nanny and my brother explained me about it…I can’t remember what exactly they told to that 4 years old child 🙂
I used have school in the morning hours…and for my brother it was in noon …
When I am back from school …most of the time papa used be at home for his lunch break…and if he is there..he will only feed me….he mix rice, little fish curry, curd and crumble fish pieces and make small small rice balls…and I used to love eating it… ♥
Why I told all these is only because…I still love eating rice curd…and the yellow curry. Yellow curry is nothing but the Kerala style spiced yogurt (moru curry)..
There is something else i like which is also having yellow color…that is the yellow rice…
This used to be my lunch during my school days (after we settled in India)…and my friends likes the rice….and yea..this is also made with curd :P…
- Cooked Boiled Rice (Palakkadan Matta) – 2 cup (You can use white rice. But the recipe taste good with boiled rice)
- Curd – 1.5 cup
- Green chilli – 1 slit
- Salt to taste
- Turmeric – 1/4 tsp
- Mustard – 1/2 tsp
- Dry whole red chilli – 1
- Coconut Oil – 2 tbsp (You can use refined, but coconut oil gives more flavor)
- Onion – 1 small sliced
- Ginger – 1 tbsp chopped finely
- Garlic – 1 tbsp crushed and chopped
- Curry leaves of 2 strands
- Urad Dal – 1 tsp
You have to,
- Heat oil in a pan
- Add Urad dal. Once it start changing the color, add broken red chilli and mustard.
- Allow the mustard to pop.
- After that add curry leaves and followed by onions and green chilli.
- Once onion start turning translucent, add chopped ginger-garlic, turmeric, saute for 2-3 min
- Add curd, salt and mix well.
- Once the water started getting absorbed add rice
- Once the water is almost dried remove from flame
- Serve with pickle or chutney or any gravy