When I was in my college I used to have dosa from thattu kada (small hotels seen road side in Kerala).
Later when I came to Bangalore, there was a restaurant in Indira Nagar Double road. I forgot the name of the it ..But there we used to get a variety idli. Though I couldnot taste all the varieties..I still managed to taste most of those they had.
I could never make a perfect dosa batter. But when I came to Qatar, I got a Tamilian friend. Nitya become a good friend of mine. I always felt she is a Recipe Kalavara(store). She knows a lot of traditional recipes
Once she invited me to her place for tea and made for me those thin crispy dosas.. It was just yumm. And She gave me the recipe of the basic idli and dosa batter when i requested. 🙂
- Parboiled Rice – 3 cups (This is available in all Indian super markets)
- Urud Dal – 1 cup
- Fenugreek seeds – 1/2 tsp
You have to
- Wash the rice and Dal separately several times and soak the above separately overnight.
- Drain and grind separately to a smooth paste (You can grind fenugreek seeds along with rice) .
- Try not to add water more water. And if required add the water in which the rice and dal was soaked.
- Add 1 or 2 tablespoon when you feel the batter is dry.
- Transfer to a large deep bowl. Double the size of the batter
- Now mix together and leave it in a warm place to ferment (around 8-10 hours should do)
- Now the batter is ready. You can add salt and make dosas….